Friday, April 01, 2005

Confusion :-/

Am not too sure of what I am thinking and not at all about what I am about to write. Nevertheless I have started writing, might say a lot not knowing where to stop and yet manage to say nothing of consequence.

There was some talk in class about success and respect and stuff that one aims for in life and the achievement of what makes one happy. It was in the lecture that followed that I could very well associate a seniors doubts.

Sometimes in life we get serious, and realize we should have been serious long way back. But I wonder, should anyone get serious at all ? Afterall, it seems we tend not to enjoy the little things which one should in everyday life. Or am I overdoing things? Overdoing the enjoying or being seroius, what? (maybe overdoing the thinking ;)) What is the secret to happiness? Aspire, aim and achieve, or be happy with what one has got? What do we live for? What is the final aim? Is there any? Is it the satisfaction in cherishing every moment of your life? Then why cry for something you couldn't achieve instead of being happy within? Is it so simple? Or is it out of our comprehension?

Here is how Ralph Waldo answered "How do you define success?"
To laugh often and much, to win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children, to earn the appreciation of honest critics and endure the betrayal of false friends, to appreciate beauty, to find the best in others, to leave the world a bit better, whether by a healthy child, a garden patch, or a redeemed social condition; to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is to have succeeded!

Sounds impressive eh? But the questions don't seem to stop. Do I want Ralph Waldo to define success for me? Can't I have my own definition of success? My own criterion. Or may be have no criterion at all. Is that possible, to know if you succeeded without something to compare with? But why is it important to know if I am successful if I am happy anyways? I guess happiness is associated with the knowledge of being successful???!!!

Huh!!!! :))

No comments: